Knowing the exam pattern is absolutely crucial for aspiring candidates preparing for the APSC (Assam Public Service Commission) exam. It acts as the key to unlocking a successful preparation strategy. By understanding the structure of the exam, including the number of papers, marks distribution, and duration, candidates can approach their studies with confidence and convenience. Being well-informed about the APSC exam pattern allows candidates to optimise their efforts and maximise their chances of success.
Candidates preparing for the APSC CCE (Assam Public Service Commission Combined Competitive Examination) must be familiar with its comprehensive exam pattern. The APSC CCE Syllabus 2023 encompasses essential topics relevant to the examination and plays a crucial role in the applicants’ preparation.
The exam consists of two phases, each with a distinct syllabus. Aspirants can utilize the detailed curriculum provided here to effectively study for the test.
APSC Exam Details
Exam Name: Combined Competitive Examination
Organizing Authority: Assam Public Service Commission (APSC)
The Combined Competitive Examination comprises the following two successive stages:
(i) Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
(ii) Main Examination (Written & Interview Test)
The Preliminary Examination consists of two objective type question papers on General Studies, each carrying 200 marks.
The Main Examination comprises written examination and interview tests. It includes six papers on the subject of General Studies. The marks obtained by candidates in both the written examination and the interview will be considered to determine their final ranking.
Interview Test/ Personality Test
Type of exam: Interview
Total marks: 275 Marks
Some important points related to the APSC exam pattern :
- Candidates selected for the Main Examination’s written part will be called for an interview in a 1:3 ratio to the advertised vacancies.
- The interview board will assess the candidate’s personal suitability for a career in public service, evaluating mental caliber, intellectual qualities, social traits, and interest in current affairs.
- Qualities to be judged include mental alertness, critical thinking, clear and logical expression, balanced judgment, varied interests, social cohesion, leadership, and moral integrity.
- The interview is a purposive conversation to reveal the candidate’s mental qualities, not a strict cross-examination.
- The interview doesn’t test specialized or general knowledge already examined in the written papers.
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate an intelligent interest in their academic subjects, current events, both within and outside their state or country, and modern currents of thought and discoveries.
- Interview marks are added to the Main Examination (Written) scores without specific qualifying marks for the interview.
- The Commission recommends the same number of candidates as notified for different posts, and candidates are allotted services based on their ranks, preferences expressed, and reservations.
APSC CCE Prelims Syllabus
The APSC CCE Preliminary Examination 2023 consists of two papers:
- Paper 1 – General Studies 1
- Paper 2 – General Studies 2.
The exam will be conducted in objective type questions format.
|Total Papers||Subject in the Exam||Total Marks||Time|
|Paper- I||General Studies- I||200||2 Hours|
|Paper- II||General Studies- II||200||2 Hours|
Paper 1: General Studies 1
|Total questions||To ensure a focus on Assam-related topics, 30% to 35% of the questions will compulsorily relate to Assam.|
|Full Marks||200 marks|
|Exam Duration||2 hours|
Also read: APSC CCE prelims syllabus 2023
Paper 2: General Studies 2
|Minimum Qualifying Mark||33%|
|Full Marks||200 marks|
|Exam Duration||2 hours|
You can download the APSC Prelims Syllabus for both GS PAper 1 and GS Paper 2 from the links below:
GS Paper 1 – Download
GS Paper 2 – Download
Negative Marking: In both papers, 1/4 of the mark assigned to one question will be deducted for every wrong answer marked by the candidate.
Aspirants are advised to be well-prepared for the exam, considering the time limit, the type of questions, and the negative marking policy.
APSC Mains 2023 Exam Pattern
After successfully passing the preliminary exam, candidates will become eligible to participate in the main exam.
The exam format table for the main exam is provided below, detailing the marks allotted for each paper:
|Paper||Type of Paper||Marks||Exam Duration|
|Paper I||Essay||250 Marks||3 Hours|
|Paper II||General Studies||250 Marks||3 Hours|
|Paper III||General Studies||250 Marks||3 Hours|
|Paper IV||General Studies||250 Marks||3 Hours|
|Paper V||General Studies||250 Marks||3 Hours|
|Paper VI||General Studies on Assam||250 Marks||3 Hours|
APSC Mains Syllabus
We present to you the comprehensive syllabus required for the APSC mains examination, encompassing all the General Studies papers. It is essential for aspirants to be well-versed with the topics covered in each GS paper to excel in the examination.
To facilitate your preparation, we have also provided a downloadable link for the APSC mains syllabus.
Accessing this valuable resource will offer a detailed understanding of the subjects, enabling you to plan your study strategy more effectively.
APSC Mains Syllabus Download
Paper 1 – Essay ( Download)
Paper 2- General studies – I ( Download)
Paper 3-General studies – II (Download)
Paper 4- General studies – III ( Download)
Paper V- General studies – IV ( Download)
Paper VI- General subject paper on Assam ( Download)
APSC Selection Process 2023
The Assam Public Service Commission’s Combined Competitive Examination (APSC CCE) selection process comprises two stages: the Preliminary Examination and the Main Examination, including a Written Examination and an Interview Test.
- First the candidates have to appear for APSC prelims exam then who clears the preliminary examination will be called for the mains exam.
- The language papers in the mains exam are of qualifying nature and the candidates have to score minimum qualifying marks in those papers to appear for the personal interview.
- The papers of the candidates qualifying in the language papers will be checked and a merit list will be made on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in the mains written exam.
- Candidates clearing the mains examination will be shortlisted for the personal interview round that consists of a total of 275 marks.
- The final merit list and selection of the candidates will be made on the basis of their total marks in the mains written exam (Except language papers) and their performance in the personal interview round.
1. Is the APSC CCE Exam need to be taken in English?
Yes, in order to be selected for the interview phase, candidates must pass the English language section of the main tests. But because it is only qualifying in nature, the grades do not go into merit.
2. Which combinations of subjects are prohibited for the optional papers?
- Veterinary science, animal husbandry, and agriculture
- A maximum of one Engineering Subjects
- Statistics and Mathematics
- Sociology and anthropology
3. How many points will be awarded for the interview stage?
In the APSC CCE Exam 2023, the Interview round will carry 275 marks.